As a New York event planner, you rely on the expertise of your event services vendors to do their part in elevating your event. And your DJs or live bands are no exception. You trust they’ll know how to work a crowd and keep the energy high all evening long with soul-stirring and heart-pumping music. But it can be additionally helpful to have a few tricks up your own sleeve, especially when it comes to motivating event guests to get boogying on the dance floor. Here are some insights about what your high-value DJs might do, along with some of today’s most iconic tunes that always get the dance party rockin’. Every event crowd will, of course, have different tastes. But these 35 songs are sure to get people moving.
Getting Your Event Guests on the Dance Floor
The best DJs and bands are masters at working a crowd. And they know just what to do if the event seems to experience a lull. New York event planners can trust their professionals’ judgments in these scenarios. And you can expect the most effective DJs to take the following steps to bring excitement and energy back to the dance floor.
They’ll handle the playlist: DJs know when it’s time to skip the slow dance and power up the beats. They’ll also know what songs please an older crowd, younger crowd, or diverse crowd.
They’ll ask for song requests from the crowd: Sometimes, the DJ will ask the guests to suggest their favorite tunes. And all it really takes is one or two lively attendees to drag colleagues to the dance floor for a song.
They’ll tease guests by inviting them to the dance floor for pictures: Pictures, or other dance floor highlights are a great way to get people comfortable with just being on the dance floor. From there, the DJ will amp up the tunes and inspire dancing.
Top Songs That Work Every Time
When you work with your event services providers for music before the event, drill down on some of the best dance-floor songs to have on hand for motivating a dance crowd. You’ll know your client’s event best, including music genre preferences and styles. But these songs are wildly popular among many generations and are always great to have on standby should your dance guests need a boost.
- “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus (2023)
- “TQG” by KAROL G & Shakira (2023)
- “TRUSTFALL” by P!nk (2023)
- “Calm Down” by Rema & Selena Gomez (2022)
- “Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift (2022 )
- “Unholy” by Sam Smith & Kim Petras (2022)
- “Players” by Coi Leray (2022)
- “Made You Look” by Meghan Trainor (2022)
- “You Proof” by Morgan Wallen (2022)
- “As It Was” by Harry Styles (2022)
Slow Dance Songs
- “Tennessee Whiskey” (2015)by Chris Stapleton
- “Beautiful Crazy” (2017) by Luke Combs
- “Can’t Help Falling In Love” (1961) by Elvis Presley
- “Perfect" (2017) by Ed Sheeran
- “Unchained Melody” (1955) by Righteous Brothers
- “My Girl” (1965) by The Temptations
- “All of Me” (2013) by John Legend
- “Wonderful Tonight” (1977) by Eric Clapton
- “You Proof” (2022) by Morgan Wallen
- “Stand By Me” (1962) by Ben E. King
Traditional & Modern Favorites
- “Yeah” (2004) by Usher
- “Dancing Queen” (1976) by ABBA
- “Fergalicious” (2006) by Fergie
- “Get Low” (2002) by Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz featuring the Ying Yang Twins
- “This Is How We Do It” (1995) by Montell Jordan
- “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson feat. Bruno Mars (2015)
- “I Gotta Feeling” (2009) by the Black Eyed Peas
- “About Damn Time” (2022) by Lizzo
- “Shut Up and Dance” (2014) by WALK THE MOON
- “Footloose” (1984) by Kenny Loggins
- “C’Mon ‘N Ride It (The Train)” (1996) by Quad City DJ’
- “The Humpty Dance” (1990) by Digital Underground
- “Baby Got Back” (1992) by Sir Mix-A-Lot
- “Hey Ya!” (2003) by Outkast
- “Friends In Low Places” (1990) by Garth Brooks
- “Timber” (2013) by Pitbull feat. Kesha
- “24K Magic” (2016) by Bruno Mars
- “Cha-Cha Slide” (2000) by Mr. C The Slide Man
- “Cupid Shuffle” (2007) by Cupid
- “Cotton Eye Joe” (1995) by Rednex
- “Shots” (2009) by LMFAO ft. Lil Jon
- “Fishin’ In The Dark” (1987) by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
- “Girls Just Want To Have Fun” (1983) by Cyndi Lauper
- “Shout” (1959) by The Isley Brothers
- “Boogie Shoes” (1978) by KC And The Sunshine Band
Find Your Best DJs at The Event Planner Expo 2023
Keep these top song favorites and insights handy when coordinating the music for all your New York events. And if you want to experience getting in the room with the hottest NYC DJs and live performers, you’ll need to get to The Event Planner Expo 2023. Thousands of event services professionals will attend, and it’s your chance to meet and form strategic partnerships with the best of the best. Get your tickets for all three magical days!