As a New York event planner, you take every client event seriously, looking to implement elements and extras that enhance guest engagement. But after you’ve planned so many birthday parties, your ideas and creative flare may start to feel less impressive. If you’re looking for an infusion of insights and inspiration, especially for those milestone birthday parties you have coming up, keep reading. Today, we’ll share some creative birthday celebration ideas to rejuvenate your creativity!
Elements of an Incredible Birthday Celebration Experience
Reconnect with your creative side by getting back to basics. There are certain elements of a milestone birthday celebration that attendees expect and adore. As adults, we know we don’t get birthday parties anymore like we did as kids. That’s why these milestone parties need to have some serious wow factor. Themes should speak to the milestone birthday guest specifically, including music, videography, décor, and ambiance. And whether you’re flashing back to the early 2000s or the early 1950s, every aspect of the event should speak to the times you’re celebrating, from invitations to thank you cards. Here are just a few key ideas to serve as pillars of your event planning efforts.
- The Guest of Honor Video Compilation
- Memory Lane Photos and Collages
- Storytelling with Pivotal Guests
- Music Commemorating the Times
- On This Day in History Pop Culture Trivia
- Celebrity Performers of Yesteryear
30th Birthday Suggestions
If you’re event planning for a 30th birthday celebration, talk with your client about causes they support and hobbies they enjoy. You can look to incorporate specific themes and nuances that support the guest of honor’s values and personality. Consider some of these ideas, too, for additional inspiration.
- Consider community involvement efforts or charity fundraising as part of the birthday celebration.
- Think “Thirsty 30” and include the birthday guest’s favorite drinks.
- Include a 30 theme where there are 30 desserts, 30 tables, 30 fun facts about the birthday guest, etc.
- Combat the “over the hill” sentiments by bringing in the child-at-heart elements like face painting, an adult bounce house, or roller skating.
40th Birthday Suggestions
Turning 40 is a whole other ball of wax. The soon-to-be 40-year-olds will have unique preferences for their parties, much different from their decade-younger counterparts. Talk with your clients about how they envision their milestone birthday party to be and incorporate every element you can that ties into their likes, preferences, and personality. These ideas might be helpful to discuss with them, too.
- Collect sentiments about the birthday guest from others who plan to attend ahead of time for sharing during the party.
- If traveling is a past hobby or future plan, incorporate travel-themed extras, including maps, destinations, and a collection jar for tips to support the upcoming travel plans.
- Be diligent about the guest invite list. There could be extra legwork involved in reaching long-lost pals or securing video sentiments ahead of time from those who cannot attend.
- Ask before incorporating the sometimes clichéd “black balloons” and “over the hill” themes.
Nifty 50 and Beyond
For those who are celebrating a 50th, 60th, 70th, or even 80th birthday celebration, as the event planner, you’ll want to be clear about what the guests of honor want. And after taking those elements into consideration, you can explore some of these options for a truly memorable milestone birthday experience.
- Be sure to include every important person on the invite list, virtually, in-person, or with a pre-recorded video sentiment.
- Make it BIG. Celebrating a 60th, 70th, or 80th birthday is a big deal.
- Think classic since most guests will have fond memories and appreciation for classic touches to décor, ambiance, and aesthetics.
- The birthday guest of honor should feel like a celebrity, with a crown, throne, and center stage presence.
- Comedy and entertainment are key. Be strategic about only choosing the best-fit performers and music.
Consider these insights and suggestions as you look to create the most memorable milestone birthday celebrations for your event planning clients. And don’t forget, it's time to get your tickets to The Event Planner Expo 2022 this October, too, where you can get in the room with hundreds of event professionals all looking to share ideas!